Thursday, August 17, 2006

On weight gain...

Ok...so I've gained a few pounds...actually, I've gained about 15 pounds in the last 6 or 8 months. I think this is likely related to my over-abundant consumption of alcohol...not that I'm a drunk...far from it...I just have started having 1 to 3 a night, most nights...I can stop, and I don't drink every night...I don't drink and drive...I just have a glass or two of wine with dinner...which adds up to about 400 calories I wasn't consuming before...and because I haven't made up for this increase with a decrease somewhere else, I have gained 15 pounds...so here it is...wine 2 nights a week...that is all I will allow myself...Friday nights (because that's date night) and one other night...2 glasses tops. We'll see if that doesn't change things in the waistline.

I'm no exercise fanatic...in fact, I have a terrible attitude toward PT...the funny thing is that once I get started, I really like working out...it's just the 'getting started' part I'm having trouble with. I work out 3 times a week for about 45 minutes...this by force (military woman)...usually our PT consists of running and some calisthenics. It is heavier on the running part, but that's a good thing since running is aerobic and resistance training. I also go dancing (and really I mean dancing, not sitting, drinking, and waiting for a song or two) almost every Friday. So the way I figure it, I'm getting about 3 hours of workout time per week. I'd like to work that number up to 7, but I'm realistic enough to know that that will take time. Small steps to a healthier, thinner me.

It's really not even the weight thing...after I turned 30, I put on 5 pounds and didn't even consider it a bad thing...it's just that now, after having been a size 10 for 15 years or more (interrupted by short training periods when my weight and size plummetted) my jeans that I've had for 5 or 6 years...well, they no longer fit...I had to buy a pair of jeans in a 12...they're really loose and threatening to fall off, but the 10s are just too tight and uncomfortable...

I need to not hate myself for gaining the weight...I need to recognize a problem, devise a solution, and work to put it into practice...I think I'll log that just to see how I'm doing at the 'put it into practice part'...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home