Thursday, May 17, 2007

I don't know

I haven't felt very motivated to write lately...I'm not really sure why.

Maybe it's that the world seems to be going crazy. Look at the violence that's going on in our schools. Look at the litigation that's going on relating to the violence in our schools. Add to that the lack of simple respect and dignity offered by human beings to fellow human beings. It all just makes me sad...maybe a little angry, but mostly just sad.

A young man walked into his college and killed his classmates...I heard one professor who was killed was even a 9-11 survivor. That sucks.

A cop is missing in S.C. I don't really have any faith that he'll ever be found...at least not alive. He's in his 60's.

An 8-yr-old is facing weapons charges for taking a pocket knife to school. He was suspended by the school for a week, but that's not good enough for many of the parents. They want him expelled...for a pocket knife...an 8-yr-old. It's not that I don't take this seriously, but we used to all take pocket knives everywhere...now the parents are inflamed because the law says a knife with a blade shorter than 3 inches isn't a deadly weapon in it's legal definition. These are the same parents that used to carry their pocket knives everywhere (and probably still do).

I'm not sure what gets my goat more, the violence or our knee-jerk reaction to it. I feel like instead of dealing with the social ills that are causing the problem, we're dealing only with the result...and we don't understand why it's not getting any better. It's like treating someone who is infected with HIV for only the symptoms they display, and not understanding why they keep developing new symptoms. I'm not saying that social ills are incurable...just that we're getting at them all back-ass-wards.

I know I haven't always done the right thing...but I believe in redemption...I believe that making ammends counts for more than punishment. Just my opinion...for what it's worth.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Monday, May 21, 2007 6:48:00 AM, Blogger Attila the Mom said...

Right on! Somedays I can't bear to listen to the news. It's just way too frightening!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home